I’ve been trying to be healthy, but the inevitable chocolate / cake craving rears its head from time to time. My usual go-to recipe when this happens is my Chocolate Fudge cake.. But I decided I’d make a healthier version of chocolate cake, in the form of chocolate muffins. The addition of coffee was an afterthought, but they turned out tasting really nice. They’re mocha-ish and the tang of the cream cheese frosting works well with the flavours.
- 280g self raising flour
- 110g granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 30g cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 8 fl oz. milk
- 3 fl. oz. vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- Mix the flour, sugar, cocoa powder and baking powder together in a bowl and set aside.
- Dissolve the coffee granules in 2 tablespoonfuls of boiling water, and leave to cool.
- Measure out the milk, vegetable oil and egg into a jug and whisk lightly to combine. Add the coffee to this.
- Pour the liquid into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Spoon into muffin cases and bake at 180’C for 20 – 25 minutes.
To make the frosting (optional), you will need:
- 1 tsp soft (cream) cheese
- water (optional – I used this to make the icing more runny. Use as much as you want)
- icing sugar – use as much as you want to get the consistency right.
Mix the cream cheese, icing sugar and water together until you get the consistency of icing you prefer, and then drizzle 1 tsp over each muffin whilst they’re still hot. Leave the muffins to cool, and the icing will set.